BoSacks Reader's Speak Out: On Dot Com Bubble, Journalism Crises, LSC and more

By BoSacks Readers on April 20, 2020
This is a good one, Bob. It's ironic that the measurable nature of digital advertising can allow you to prove that it works or it doesn't, depending on whether you are willing to test with an open mind or not.

I think the authors go too far when they question whether any form of advertising has any impact on consumers. We've all seen marketers stop advertising altogether and then their sales have declined.

For me, the takeaway from this article is the pitfalls of targeting. Marketers still need to cast a wide net when they are looking for new customers.
(Submitted by a Publisher)

Brilliant - and the longest thing I’ve read on a phone for a long time, which says a lot.
(Submitted by a Director)

Wow, This article is so important on so many levels, especially today in our viscose, ugly stew of politics. It's hard to learn if you don't want to. Or if learning will adversely affect your own employment or success at whatever it is you do.
(Submitted by a CFO)

Very well thought out and very well written piece. It’s kinda the truth that nobody wants to know! Supports the argument that the idea (the creative) is now more important than ever
(Submitted by a Exec Director)

Excellent article. In essence, what he is saying is that the more information you have on someone the more likely you are to find and target those already about to buy your widgit (the selection effect) and therefore the more likely you are to be wasting your money. Or digital marketing is increasingly a snake eating its own tail...

What it also says is that there is still no better way to convert a potential customer into a buyer than through the 'magic' of good persuasive brand advertising.
Strategy Director

In fact, this research from last year suggests that in fact the.. lets call it.. “group effect” is the most pervasive of all.

In this context; if I think all of my friends like Adidas then I build a subconscious and involuntary tendency towards that brand too...

Doesn’t conflict with Sinek, imho - “Why = I buy Apple because what I think it says about me”... which is tied up in association with others and what it says about them.

What’s interesting about Stewart et al’s research is the inference that it’s more about quantity than quality. “I don’t notice who in my social circle likes Adidas, I just feel part of enough of my group to know I prefer them to Nike”

In short - people are primordially tribal. Who knew!
(Submitted by a Strategy Director)
It's the idea and the creative that gets the attention and connection (and that can happen anywhere). The journey to the cash register is about reducing the friction, reassuring ... but is getting the credit for the sale. It's like the sales guy who follows you around the clothes shop to make sure his name is on your sale for his commission.... adds little value (and probably annoys/damages your relationship with the brand).
(Submitted by a Publisher)

Definitely worth the read. Thanks. When I like a company, I take the time to scroll down to look for their free google listing. Strangely, I feel like I trust the non-paid search links more than the ad links, even if to the same website. So, I'm usually scrolling down anyway, except when I don't like a company, in which case, I let them pay for my visit.
(Submitted by a Founder)

Re: Listen to Willie
Bo - I think "name withheld" would be appropriate. Ad agencies won't like what I wrote and might try to punish me.

Listen to Willie

Many years ago there was a Bank Robber named Willie Sutton. He would constantly rob banks. After he was arrested and about to be sentenced for the third time the Judge asked him "Willie why do you constantly rob banks? He gave the simple answer…" that’s where the money is.”

As we hear the constant drumbeat of more National Magazines closing or reducing frequency because of lack of Advertising, it’s obvious that they don’t Listen to Willie.

For years it has been the M.O. of National Salespeople to get their business from Ad Agencies. There is nothing wrong in the fact that Agencies are in business to make money.

They’ve discovered a way to make even more money than just placing ads in magazines. It’s called Digital which has the three “C’s.”
Cool
Costly
Confusing
What’s a person to do? Obviously, it time to listen to Willie and go where the money is and always has been.

The Client.

Sure its harder. They are not all lined up in one neighborhood but they still love Print Magazines. Bring ideas to the client and you’ll be rewarded.
(Submitted by a Publisher)
Re: Marketers own up to data, journalism crises
Regarding Data, I'm not accepting this dismissing comment - "And at no point in that journey ... did I ask about their data policies or did I ask about what is their relationship with media or politics or consumer privacy or any of that. So my first response is that we all have a stake in this and I think at some level, we all have screwed up."

Back in the 90's we ran all kinds of demographic/psychographic profile overlays for targeted advertising in Time Inc Magazines. We knew we had A LOT of power, and we were very consciously aware of and respective of that fact. We acted as a self-governing body, retaining dignity and respect. That was during the slow and schlogging days of relational databases. BIG Data and today's tools broke down all of the boundaries, or at least enable more information to be gleaned from the buckets of new/accessible data.

The FACT that people today use/used more data without care or concern for what was going on behind the scenes or beyond the initial desired outputs is flat out irresponsible and claiming ignorance is complete crap for anyone making a living out of selling and using data - personal data.

New privacy policies and tools are trying to wrangle in a herd of cats that have been running feral in the shadows for decades. Purpose and Intent need rule. Use your powers for good should be the objective. There will come a balance, there needs be, where individuals will Own, AND Manage their own personal data. Technology is going to help ring-fence the domain and those that act proactively, transparently will grow in trust and relationship with their customers.
(Submitted by a former Time Inc. employee)
Re: Bosacks Speaks Out: Quad Graphics, Magazine Literacy and meaningful industrial kindness
Thank you very much for sending out this article. It is inspiring and encouraging to hear stories of the good real people do to better the world we live in.
(Submitted by a Publisher)

RE: BoSacks Speaks Out: LSC Closing 3 Legendary Magazine Plants
Well, put Bob! I too, have many fond memories having worked almost 20 years at the Judd & Detweiler, (Washington DC location) & later Strasburg, VA (SVP-Shenandoah Valley Press) facility in their heyday.

I think I helped “hustle” Progressive Grocer magazine (crazy what one remembers) through the proofing phase and coordinate getting the covers printed from Wash as the liaison between plants, and recall you speaking at one of our employee meetings. You were then and continue to be a great advocate for the industry, and I really enjoy your newsfeeds!
(Submitted by a Dot Buyer - Print Production & Cost Analyst)

Re: TEN Publishing Is Shuttering 19 Car Magazines
Bo, It's been happening throughout our industry, but this one really hits home. My first publishing job was with Dobbs Publishing Group in Lakeland, FL, the original publisher of several titles on this list (Jp, Mopar Muscle, Muscle Car Review, Mustang Monthly). DPG was a small company that took pride in providing automotive enthusiasts with quality content and conducting business with integrity. Our magazines were used in high school auto shop classes all over the country because instructors knew they didn't have to worry about sloppy tech coverage, salty language, or pics of half-nude women. I learned the ropes there and am grateful for the opportunities I was given and the friendships I made. We were a family, and reading news of the end of our beloved titles, while not unexpected I suppose, is still sad.
(Submitted by a Technical Editor - Former prepress and production manager)
RE: Magazines Lose Reader Engagement When They Go Digital-Only: Will Other Formats Suffer The Same Fate?
I have been saying for the past two years there are parallels between the journalism/publication industry and the music industry. Music is coming full circle back to vinyl and journalism/publications will come full circle back to print.

As more people recognize the health benefits of unplugging, they will still crave consuming rich, relevant, rewarding content in their distraction free environment. (Print ads don’t move around, pop up and yell at you or follow you to another publication….yet).
(Submitted by a Publisher)

Re: The Boomers' media behemoth
This quote from the article, "OK, millennials. But we're the people that actually have the money," Myrna Blyth, senior vice president and editorial director of AARP Media, said in an interview .." shows just how tone deaf and apathetic some Boomers are to the economic mess they have created for the generations that follow.

RE: Study Suggests Market Failure for Local News
Talk about the innate idiocy of the American public.
(Submitted by a freelance writer)

By BoSacks Readers| April 20, 2020